Saturday 8 November 2014

No Cut November - Depression And Self Harm

No Cut November - Depression And Self Harm Awareness


As i feel really strongly about raising awareness about mental health issues I thought I would write a blog post about "no cut November". One thing I know about depression and anxiety is that feeling alone makes it a lot worse, so I think this is the perfect opportunity for people to come together and support each other. 

No cut November is all about self harming and to raise awareness about it, it's a chance for people to come together and talk about their experiences and also to give each other advice on how to avoid feeling down and self harming. 

As I have experiences of my own with this I feel as though I can help other people through it and give advice to people that need it. Here I have listed a few things that may help people when they feel down and websites that I think are helpful. Don't forget to share your experiences and advice too.

Tips on avoiding self harm and feeling depressed

1. Keep busy and keep your mind occupied -  It is a lot easier to feel down and depressed when you have nothing to do as the mind over thinks about different things and it leads to boredom. If it's possible, try out a new hobby or hang out with your friends. 
2. Listen to your favourite music - Music always helps me - it takes my mind of everything that I want to forget about for a while. If you are feeling down, put on your favourite album and relax for a while.
3. Talk to your family or friends - I know myself that it can be extremely hard to tell people about how you are suffering as it can be quite a personal thing and people some times don't understand. But, I have realised that family and friends are always going to be there and they are there to support you. It's important to remember that depression is something that a lot of people go through. If you don't feel comfortable with telling somebody you know then there is the internet. Try talking to people on blogs and social networking sites who also suffer with the same thing. Talking always helps to clear your mind.
4. Identify your self harm triggers - To get over depression you have to identify what is getting you down and what started it off. I always find that writing things down always helps so I can start to figure out how to change these things that are stopping me from being happy.
5. Do what makes you happy - If you aren't happy with your current job or lifestyle, that try your best to try new things and do what makes you happy. Even though it's sometimes not that easy to just find a new job and start something new when you suffer with mental issues, it's important to change your life style and fill it with as much happy things as you can. In your spare time, do something that you enjoy the most such as start doing your favourite hobby as much as you can so you keep yourself occupied.
6. Try and be healthy - even though it's something that seems silly, being healthy such as eating healthy, drinking lots of water and getting more sleep can make a lot of difference in your life. Also, exercise can improve your mood a lot so joining a gym can benefit a lot. I find that getting more sleep makes me feel more motivated the next day and exercise improves my mind and makes me feel a lot happier.

Websites and twitter accounts

No comments:

Post a Comment